We include the following important information for each insurance company listed:
- Which weight loss surgeries are covered.
- Required criteria before gastric bypass, Lap Band or other procedures are approved for coverage.
- If Lap Band fills are covered after surgery.
- Contact information for your insurance provider.
- A link to the insurance policy detailing coverage for morbid obesity surgery.
- Next steps before Lap Band surgery, gastric bypass or other obesity surgery.
Click on your insurance carriers name to see what is required before surgery.
- BCBS Alabama
- BCBS Arkansas
- BCBS Fed and Florida
- BCBS Kansas City
- BCBS Texas
- BCBS Illinois
- BCBS of Louisiana HMO
- BCBS Massachusetts
- Blue Cross of California
- Blue Cross Maryland Care First
- Blue Cross Blue Shield Of Michigan
- Blue Cross Minnesota
- Blue Cross Nebraska
- Blue Cross New Jersey Horizon
- Blue Cross New York Excellus
- Blue Cross North Carolina
- Blue Cross Pennsylvania Capital
- Blue Cross Pennsylvania Highmark
- Blue Cross Pennsylvania Independence
- Blue Cross South Carolina
- Blue Cross Tennessee
- Blue Cross Tennessee St. Thomas and Baptist Employees
- Blue Cross Tennessee State Employees
- Blue Cross Washington Regence
- TennCare Americhoice
- TennCare Bluecare and TennCare Select
- Tricare North
- Tricare South
- Tricare West
- United Healthcare
Today most insurance companies that cover weight loss surgery will cover gastric bands, laparoscopic gastric bypass, and gastric sleeve surgery. Only a few years ago the lap band procedure was considered experimental and not covered by most insurance companies.
Even if your policy excludes weight loss surgery, if your insurance carrier deems it a medical necessity you may be able to successfully fight for surgery coverage.
If you do not see your insurance carrier on this list please email us.